Saturday, August 16, 2008

3 funnies from our house

Today has been a long day. It hasn't gone anything like I thought it would. That's part of the beauty of belonging to the Lord ... even though today was whacked-out for me, I know I attended to the things that the Lord had for me on this day.

I had to work from 10-2 at the Y. This was my first day back at work in over a week. The Y closed for building-wide repair & I had some much-needed time with my family & with my friends. It was hard to go back today, though. I woke up sorta grumpy. And then when only 4 people came to my desk all morning, I seriously questioned the need to have me at work at all. The best part of that time was that I got to spend almost 4 hours on uninterrupted time preparing for Bible study, Sunday School & for an upcoming meeting at church next week. That NEVER happens. Thank you, Lord.

As soon as I got done working, Gregor called me on my cell phone to tell me two things: that he was at Chris & Jessie's house helping them with their home improvement project; and that our children were at his mom's ... I needed to get over there quickly because Elijah had a 103 temperature. So, because we are still a 1-car family, I called for a ride & got over to Carol's quickly to pick up Elijah. I got him to the clinic at the McFarland south-side offices and was surprised to see that we were the only ones in need of a doctor at 2:30 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon. What a blessing to get right in to the doctor. Elijah is on day 3 of his fever & it appears, after much testing, that he has a case of "the summer virus." Hummm. Never heard of that one. Sounds pretty generic, but I'll go with it. He asked for some Gatorade on the way home, so we stopped by The White Store (WalMart) and got some red Gatorade & popsicles. I was only 2 hours late in picking up child #1 and #3 from Grandma's, but Carol never makes me feel guilty about that & I was so thankful. Thank you, Lord for the south-side clinic so that we didn't have to go to the ER. And thank you for Grandma Roush. Thank you for restoring Elijah's health at any moment.

So after not seeing Gregor all day, not having any breakfast or lunch, not having 3 completely healthy children, I decided that I was NOT cooking supper tonight. I took the kiddos to Papa Murphys & we got a sausage pizza (we can not get that when Daddy eats with us!) and we went home to have pizza, strawberries & red Gatorade. With popsicles for dessert. That is when my children made me laugh so hard by saying the funniest things! Thank you, Lord, for my sweet ones.

Sam: Mom, which do you like better: a movie or dirt?
Elijah: Mom, would you wash my blankie? It makes me fight like a man!
Clara: Just call me Baby PooPoo.

3 comments:

Deb said...

It's really great to see inside your life. I hope Elijah feels better soon. :(
I was so pumped to see a new post. Keep writing--it's nice to hear your heart in the writing.

Liz said...

Ah yes, the summer virus...whatever that is... :)

Paige said...

Amanda posted! Awesome! I've had days like this...they make you appreciate little things in life that you might otherwise overlook!